Back Issues of The Olmstedian
The Friends of Maryland’s Olmsted Parks and Landscapes publishes The Olmstedian, a monograph on Olmsted parks and communities, on an annual or biannual basis. Members of FMOPL receive a copy of The Olmstedian as a part of their membership. FMOPL is in the process of digitizing back issues.
“Obstructively Occupied: Olmsted in the Jones Falls Valley” The Olmstedian Vol. 6, No. 2, Summer 1995.
“Gibson Island: A View Toward All the Kingdoms of the Earth” The Olmstedian Vol. 6, No. 3, Fall 1995.
“Olmsted Brothers and St. Mary’s Seminary 1924-1931” The Olmstedian Vol. 7, No. 1, Winter/Spring 1996.
“Sudbrook–Baltimore’s First Olmsted Community” by Melanie Anson. The Olmstedian Vol. 7, No. 2, Fall 1996.
“‘Thinking Like A Mountain'” Olmsted’s Project for a Mountaintop Park for Montreal” by George L. Scheper. The Olmstedian Vol. 8, No. 1, Winter 1997.
“Guilford” by David Gleason. The Olmstedian Vol. 9, No. 1, Fall 1998. Download here
“Homeland” by Judith Smith. The Olmstedian Vol. 10, No. 1, Fall 1999. Download here
“Northwood” by Dean Wagner. The Olmstedian Vol. 12, No. 1, Fall 2000.
“Roland Park” by Judith Smith. The Olmstedian Vol. 13, No. 1, Fall 2001. Download here
“Latrobe Park” by Jillian Storms, AIA. The Olmstedian Vol. 13, No. 2, Spring 2002. Download here.
“Bancroft Park” by Stuart Macklin. The Olmstedian Vol. 14, No. 1, Fall 2002.
“The Olmsteds on Two Coasts: Baltimore and Seattle in 1903” by Dr. Ed Orser. The Olmstedian Vol. 14, No. 2, Spring 2003. Download here
“Baltimore’s Public Landscapes: The Olmsted Influence” by Myra Brosius. The Olmstedian Vol. 15, No. 1, Winter 2006.
“The Great 1904 Fire: Frederick Law Olmsted Jr.’s Role in Rebuilding the Burnt District” by Fred Shoken. The Olmstedian Vol. 15, No. 2, Spring 2004. Download here
“1904 Olmsted Bros. Report: The Advancement of City Planning in Baltimore” by David Holden. The Olmstedian Vol. 16, No. 1, Fall 2004. Download here
“Patterson Park: The Olmsted Role” by David Almaguer. The Olmstedian Vol. 16, No. 2, Spring 2005. Download here
“Leakin Park: Frederick Law Olmsted Jr.’s Critical Advice” by Cassandra Korth and Geoffrey L. Buckley. The Olmstedian Vol. 16, No. 1, Fall 2006. Download here
“Clifton Park: A Significant History of Landscape Design” by Myra Brosius with assistance from Eric Holcomb and Jea Chapman. The Olmstedian Vol. 17, No. 1, Winter 2007. Download here
“Baltimore City Planning: The Critical Role of the Olmsted Firm” by Duncan Stuart with research assistance from Eric Holcomb. The Olmstedian Vol. 17, No. 2, Spring 2008. Download here
“Herring Run: The Olmsted Brother’s Vision for a Stream Valley” by Joseph (Jody) Hopkins and Sarah Bur, with assistance from Eric Holcomb. The Olmstedian Vol. 18, No. 1, Spring 2009.
“Druid Hill Park: American Parks Movement & the Olmsted Brothers” by Myra Brosius. The Olmstedian Vol. 19, No. 1, Fall 2010. Download here
“Wyman Park: A Fractured Legacy Update” by David R. Holden, AICP. The Olmstedian, Vol. 19 No. 2 , Spring 2011. Download here
“Guilford’s Greenspace Design: The Olmsted Brothers English Aesthetic,” by Ann G. Giroux. The Olmstedian, Vol. 20, No.1, Fall 2014. Download here
“Roland Park Company: The Critical Planning Role of the Olmsted Brothers” by Paige Glotzer, The Olmstedian, Vol. 21, Issue 1, Spring 2015. Download here
The Olmsted Collection in Baltimore
The Friends of Maryland Olmsted Parks & Landscapes Collection is housed at the Baltimore City Archives. It consists of significant drawings, inventories, and correspondence files related to Olmsted projects for parks, communities, and other sites in Maryland. The collection has been created with the assistance of dedicated FMOPL volunteers and in coordination with the Frederick Law Olmsted National Historic Site in Brookline, Massachusetts (Fairsted). The core of the collection is the set of historic drawings from the Baltimore City Department of Recreation and Parks. It also contains copies of the complete set of Maryland-related documents in the “Olmsted Associates, 1863-1971, Records Collection” at the Library of Congress, contributed by The Friends of Maryland’s Olmsted Parks & Landscapes (FMOPL).
Included in the Collection are publications on Olmsted projects by FMOPL and from other sources. FMOPL acts as the curator of this collection and continues to provide intellectual access to the material. Its accommodation at the Baltimore City Archives is governed by an agreement between the Archives, the Department of Recreation and Parks, and the Friends of Maryland’s Olmsted Parks & Landscapes.
The Baltimore City Archives is located at 2615 Mathews Street, Baltimore, 21218; 410-396-3884. Hours (by appointment only) are Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. For more information, go to http://baltimorecityhistory.net/
For inquires about the Collection, you may also contact the Friends of Maryland’s Olmsted Parks & Landscapes by e-mail at email@example.com or by mail at P.O. Box 16244, Baltimore, MD 21210-0244.
Researching Olmsted Work in Maryland Online
Images of Olmsted drawings in the archives of the Friends of Maryland’s Olmsted Parks & Landscapes may be accessed through the website of the Maryland State Archives:
- Username: Olmsted
- Password: Olmsted!
- Click on : Edit and Modify Entries
- Click on: Series 55
Through the Olmsted Research Guide Online (ORGO), researchers can search a comprehensive database for Olmsted projects in Maryland and throughout the nation; go to http://ww2.rediscov.com/olmsted/
Research information, including a bibliography, can be found on the National Association of Olmsted Parks (NAOP) website at http://www.olmsted.org/research/master-list.